Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Who Doesn't Like Tacos?


I've always been a huge fan of our American version of Mexican food that can be found at fast food restaurants like Taco Bell. And while I will always enjoy Taco Bell, I can't claim that it is the best of the fast food "Tex-Mex" restaurants. Now I can't talk intelligently about all restaurants like this because my experience with them is limited. However, I do have to give mention to Taco Tico which, after several years of looking at it and driving by, I finally tried over the weekend.

I can't even begin to describe this experience, but I'll try. My order (for 2 people) consisted of an order of nachos and the #2, which consists of 2 tacos, a sancho, and a large drink (Dr. Pepper, of course). As I had never been to Taco Tico, I chose the Green Chili sauce instead of mild, medium, hot or volcano. I think this was all a good choice. The meat in the tacos, which is I'm sure of a low quality, still tasted fantastic and put Taco Bell's meat to shame. The tacos themselves were stellar, and the green chili sauce gave them a suitable kick. The sancho was also fantastic, and quite large as well. A sufficient meal would have been a sancho and 1 taco, but I finished both tacos and my sancho, and probably half the order of nachos. The nachos, most notably the queso, were beyond description. From the chips, to the meats, to the queso, these were just perfection in the form of a pile of nachos. Taco Tico, I salute you. If you have one near your house, check it out at your earliest convenience.

However, I have to give Taco Tico a silver medal, because the gold goes to Taco Tierra. I actually just found out that there are several locations throughout Southern Illinois and Southern Indiana, including those in Evansville and Princeton, IN. However my only experience is the one in Fairfield, IL. Since I can't describe this place well, all I'm going to say is this. If you're ever driving through Southern Illinois on Interstate 64, stop at exit 110, drive about 10 miles north toward Fairfield and stop in at the local Taco Tierra. I believe it's somewhere on Main Street...either way, it's easy to find. Order a sancho with mild sauce, and think of me as you enjoy the flavor overload you've just experienced.

No comments: