Monday, November 23, 2009

Not Just Steak Any Longer


I imagine anyone who has been to a Steak 'n Shake in the past 12 months or so has noticed the sweeping changes that have been made to the menu. As far as I can recall, Steak 'n Shake had the same menu from the time I was a child until about a year or a year and a half ago. However, now if you go in there, the menu items are entirely different.

Fortunately, the number of steak burger and melt varieties is close to the same, as well as the chili variety. However, now they offer a vast array of other selections, some good and others not so good. I remember as a kid you had your choice of chocolate, vanilla and strawberry milkshakes. In my teenage years, they added chocolate chip, cookies 'n cream, and a few other flavors. Now there's something in the range of 8,000 (probably an exaggeration) different varieties of milkshake, if you include the side-by-side shakes. And that's just the beginning.

Who the hell thought of putting hot dogs on the menu?? Now, I guess I shouldn't judge until I've tried them, but they have something like 10 different types of hot dogs, most of which weren't available last time I was in there. I mean, the menu keeps changing!! Just today I saw about 6 items on the menu marked as "New."

Another big one on the menu is the "Shooters." Are tiny burgers the new fad in food distribution? I don't know where these things started, but you can now get mini burgers at just about any restaurant, even KFC!! I have to admit the "New" buffalo shooters are damn good. I've been on a buffalo kick lately. I've had probably 15 "buffalo" themed meals in the past 2 weeks. I can't get enough of the stuff. So when I saw the buffalo shooters on the menu, I had to get 2 of them. So right now, I have 2 buffalo shooters, a ketchup and onion shooter, an order of fries, and 2 Cheesy Gordita Crunches in my stomach. I can't wait until tomorrow.

So anyway, is the new menu a good thing or a bad thing? Personally, I think it's a bit strange, and Steak 'n Shake definitely doesn't feel the same as it did when I was a kid, or even when I was a teenager. I've also done a bit of research and found out that Steak 'n Shake is planning on vastly expanding its franchise availability in the next 5 years, so we may see these new, different Steak 'n Shakes popping up all over the country. In closing, I have to admit, the food is still pretty good if you're in the mood for a sit-down fast food type atmosphere.

3 comments:

webmaster said...

great post and great information thank you for shared this with us

best steak online

Furious Kitten said...

Andrew, great post and I like your blog. Hey I have a favor- I'm living in St Louis now but may have to move to Louisville this summer. Can you tell me a bit about Louisville, like maybe compare it to St Louis so I'll understand what to expect? I understand if you are too busy, but it would be great to get some "real world" feedback.

Furious Kitten said...

Oh and I'm at furiouskittens@gmail.com

Thanks and I hope you have a great day. Your blog is awesome.